Year of the Yellow Earth Dog
The Chinese New Year, or Lunar New Year, for 2018 is arriving on February 16, 2018. That is the 4715th Chinese year! Lunar New Year together with, Yin and Yang, and the Five Elements account for the movements of time, seasons, and energy in the universe. This shift is similar to a shift in seasons, but it is happening on a yearly cycle, not just seasonally. The energetics of the seasons and the yearly cycle are considered critically important for correct treatment based on the energetics of the year and the season.
The zodiac sign of 2018 is the Dog. According to the Chinese Horoscope calendar, 2018 is the Male Earth Dog year. Yellow is connected to the earth. Therefore, 2018 is also called the Year of the Yellow Earth Dog.
The Year of the Earth Dog brings a significant shift in an energetic cycle that will influence our environment, our relationships, and our health.
The Year of the Earth Dog brings a significant shift in an energetic cycle that will influence our environment, our relationships, and our health. The good news is, that after finishing the last two years of sharp, cutting metal energy, we should get a bit more peace with the Earth energy of the Year of the Yellow Dog.
Let’s first consider the nature of the animal this year, the Dog. Dogs are loyal, social pack animals, that work together. They’re devoted to their pack, be it canine or human. This is a year that working together, of reaching out to your community and creating good communication.
It is also a year of particular stability that should allow you to organize your life. This will help develop the trust and harmony energies of this year. It is also a good year to be selfless and generous.
The Chinese language is based on characters that have meaning. The characters for Male Earth Dog are two mountains sitting side-by-side or another mountain beyond a mountain. If you can climb the mountain of the Dog, then you can see much further into the future. What is interesting is that 2019 is year of Pig, which is the first year of Water. Thus, you can think of 2018 as the stepping stone for 2019. If you want to do well in 2019 of Pig year, then you need to have it well-planned this year.
The Earth element relates to dampness in Chinese medicine. Dampness is hard to grasp in our dry climate, but anything that can get damp in 2018, will.
This corresponds with the Spleen and Stomach, which is our digestion.
- If you are not eating right you will potentially see lots of digestive issues with dampness — nausea, bloating, and stomach flu cases with lots of diarrhea.
- Colds that occur in 2018 will be of the damp type, rather than the dry type. Instead of lingering dry coughs, there will be a lot of mucus – nasal and chest congestion.
- Because the Earth and the Spleen correspond with muscles and flesh, we may see more muscle injuries, as well as more lumps, bumps and tumors, as dampness likes to accumulate.
- The emotions of the Spleen and Stomach are worry and overthinking, so people that have a tendency to fret are in for a more challenging year.
Using Chinese medicine as Preventative medicine
- One the best ways to use Chinese medicine is to come in for treatments at the change of seasons to help your body adjust accordingly.
- If you notice that you struggle with a particular season, consider getting regular treatments during that season to help your body become better adapted to that season.
- Change your diet to eat what is truly in season. It’s a great way to add variety to what you are eating and is much easier on your system.
- Seasonal cleanses also help the body transition well. I offer seasonal cleanses with Jiva Wellness Collective, please refer to their website for more information.
If you are interested in adjusting your body to the seasons, make an appointment to learn more.