Pediatric Herbal Medicine
Children get sick. It is necessary for their immune systems to develop. While we may not be able to prevent all illnesses we can help to contain the illness and prevent it from developing into something serious. Herbal formulas are excellent at containing the illness, boosting the immune system, and helping to resolve the symptoms.
At Stillpoint Healing Center we have quite a few herbal formulas for pediatric conditions. Some are more effective than others, but with a little knowledge about when and how to use them, they can treat a majority of conditions very successfully.
We recommend that you keep CQ Jr and Lung Qi Jr on hand to prevent and treat common cold and flu because they are general anti-viral and anti-bacterial formulas.
There are other options as well, and we can always do a consult to see what would be best for your child and how they get sick.
- The herbal formulas are all made specifically for children and are very safe to use.
- We use different formulas depending on the illness. Formulas may be combined. They may also be combined with Western medicine such as ibuprofen and antibiotics.
- Powered herbs need to be made into a tea then cooled before administered. You can add maple syrup, honey or molasses to change the flavor.
- Tinctures are in liquid form and are easier to use, but not as potent.
- Amount to give is based on age and weight. There is a chart at the end of this blog.
- Frequency depends on if the illness is acute, sub-acute or chronic.
- Probiotics (daily)
- Fish oil
- CQ Jr – tincture, give 2x/day.
- Lung Qi Jr – include if prone to coughs. Tincture, give 2x/day.
The most important issue with treating is to give the herbs as soon as you notice that your child is getting sick, to give frequently and to continue the herbs at a lesser dosage until they are 100%.
The following are a list of herbal formulas and what they are used for.
- Colds, flu, sore throat – CQ Jr, Throat Soothe, Clear & Release
- Cough – Lung Qi Jr, Children’s Clear Lung Formula, Moisten Dryness, Chest Release
- Ear infection – Children’s Ear Formula
- Sinus – Sino Relief
- Digestive upset – Tummy Qi, Agastache Tummy Syrup
- Teething – Tender Teeth
- Disturbed sleep – Quiet Nites
- Allergies – Allerease Jr.
- ADD/ADHD – Peaceful Focus
- Eczema – Little Pearl
- Bed wetting – Dry Nites
- Pediatric dosing 1 mm/cc per year of age +1
- Infants: 1-2 ml/cc
- 1-2 yrs: 2-3 ml/cc
- 3-5 yrs: 4-6 ml/cc
- Acute — admin every 3 hours
- Sub-Acute: 3x/day
- Chronic/Prevention: 2x/day
What to have on hand:
- Ask how your child gets sick. Fevers? Ear infections? Cough? Keep formulas for that kind of illness on hand.
- Bring your child in for a pediatric consultation to help determine the formulas that will work best for them.